How to claim your loss from the Government following Riots

If you are in business and you have suffered a loss or damage to your property following the recent riots, please click here to access information about how you make a claim for compensation in this respect.

If you have cover in place for the loss, you should still contact your insurer immediately to notify them of the loss and refer to our previous post for guidance in this respect as there are time deadlines for submission of your claim.

How to claim your loss from the Government following Riots

Preventative measures that businesses can take regarding the Riots

Given the nature of the recent incidents, it is difficult to provide prescriptive guidance on actions businesses can take to minimise risks, but here are some general considerations that may be helpful. If you would like individual recommendations, you should contact us directly on 01737 373222

The safety of your employees and customers must be your priority. Make sure that you have suitable emergency plans and that these cover periods when riots and civil disorder are possible so that you can avoid such persons being on the premises or travelling to or from them during periods of danger. Have a robust emergency contact procedure including home and mobile phone numbers for staff. Make sure that you have this information available at all times – it is no good just keeping it at the premises! Keep this information secure and remember your Data Protection obligations.

  • Keep up-to-date with developments – consider using the internet, text news alerts and police information, responding to advice from the authorities as appropriate.
  • If you do decide to temporarily close for business, try to give affected employees as much notice as possible so that they do not make unnecessary journeys putting themselves at risk. If you are sending staff home during a period of disorder, discuss with them what arrangements can be made to try to get them home safely.
  • If your buildings are already fitted with security grilles or shutters, make sure that these are in working order and put into place when closing and leaving the premises. If you do not have shutters to protect vulnerable glazing then consider temporary boarding. Don’t forget that this will need to be very firmly secured.
  • Remove valuable items from inside shop-front displays or which are close to ground floor windows. Put small high value items in your safe, if you have one. Consider what larger items may be safely removed during periods of unrest.
  • Make sure that you have two up-to-date copies of your computer data stored securely away from the premises.
  • Review your Business Continuity Plan (Disaster Recover Plan). If you don’t have one of these then contact us for advice on this topic.
  • Avoid leaving combustible or flammable items outside your premises.
  • Information on arson precautions and other long-term security precautions can be provided upon request 


Questions about your cover


If you are unsure of the cover you have in place or wish to take out a policy please contact us and we will be happy to talk you through your policy options.



Preventative measures that businesses can take regarding the Riots

Guidance following the riots across London and other areas of England – August 2011

With the current riots and disturbances occuring in and around London and indeed in other areas across the entire country, a number of our clients may find themselves affected by the situation.

If you have been affected in any way and feel that you may need to make a claim under your policy, we’d just like to remind you of what’s needed.  With this type of claim there are specific time lines to meet for insurers to be reimbursed by the local police authority.

The local police authority has a legal responsibility to reimburse anyone sustaining damage to property as the result of a riot under the Riot Damages Act 1886. Any claim under the Act must ‘’be made in writing and received by the local police authority within 14 days of the alleged incident”.

Insurers typically include within their Claims Notification Clause to the policy a requirement for any claim for riot and/or civil commotion to be notified to Insurers immediately with full supporting documentation. This needs to be received within seven days of the incident occurring specifically to prevent a recovery action being turned down by the police authority on basis that the action is time barred. Insurers are entitled to recover their outlays under the principle of subrogation.

Anyone claiming needs to be aware that they must notify their Insurers immediately of any damage but equally important is that they must be able to quantify and substantiate their losses with potentially both a schedule of loss and statement of truth within a week of the incident occurring.

Details of how to report the claim to your insurer can be found within your policy booklet, but as always, if you are in any doubt, please contact our office immediately on 01737 373222

Guidance following the riots across London and other areas of England – August 2011