Although domestic burglary offences in England and Wales fell by 8% between October 2015 and September 2016 – and overall are down by a staggering 71% since 1995 – having your home broken into is still one of life’s most traumatic events.
According to an analysis of 1.8 million home insurance quotes by Moneysupermarket.com, Ilford, East London suffers the highest burglary rate in the UK – with 55 homes out of every 1,000 reporting a burglary.
Redbridge councillor Robert Cole commented: “It is one of the more expensive areas of Ilford, with house prices averaging above £500,000, but we have always had a relatively high number of burglaries, which is because we are so close to the M11 and the north circular. Gangs can get in and get away quickly. That said, the number of break-ins is falling.”
16 out of the top 20 worst affected postcodes are in London, whilst the list also features locations in Leeds, Manchester and Cambridge. However, the country has seen an overall decrease in this type of crime, even in these worst-affected areas.
According to the AA, home insurance premiums rose in price last year by roughly 6% (although this is attributed to flooding and other risks, rather than burglary). Despite hikes in insurance premium tax (IPT), buildings and contents cover costs £160 per year on average, which has fallen by a tenth in the past five years.
Take a look at the full list below…
AREAS WITH HIGHEST BURGLARY RATES
- IG4– Redbridge (Ilford)
- N20– Whetstone, Totteridge, Oakleigh Park (North London)
- RM6 – Chadwell Heath, Marks Gate, Little Heath, Goodmayes (North), Hainault (South) (Romford)
- LS5– Hawksworth, Kirkstall (North Leeds)
- IG5– Clayhall (Ilford)
- SW14– Mortlake, East Sheen (South London)
- SE21– Dulwich, Dulwich Village, West Dulwich, Tulse Hill (South London)
- N21– Winchmore Hill, Bush Hill, Grange Park (North London)
- SE24– Herne Hill, Tulse Hill, Dulwich (South London)
- SE27– West Norwood, Gipsy Hill (South London)
- N10– Muswell Hill (North London)
- CB5– Cambridge(East) 41.8
- UB5– Greenford, Northolt (West London)
- BR4– West Wickham (South London)
- M21– Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Barlow Moor (Manchester)
- IG2– Gants Hill, Newbury Park, Aldborough Hatch (Ilford)
- LS8– Fearnville, Gipton, Gledhow (Leeds)
- N11– New Southgate, Friern Barnet, Bounds Green, Arnos Grove (part) (north London)
- IG6– Barkingside, Fullwell Cross, Hainault (south), Fairlop (Ilford)
- SE26– Sydenham, Crystal Palace (part) (south London)
Protecting yourself from the financial effects of a burglary can offer both monetary and emotional security. If you’d like to discuss your own home insurance, simply give us a call. 01737377250 or visit: http://www.insureeasy.co.uk